What is Diamond Dermabrasion?
Diamond dermabrasion is a type of microdermabrasion that uses diamond particles or tips to exfoliate the outer layer of the skin. It involves directing a wand or handpiece containing crushed diamond chips across the skin’s surface. The diamonds mechanically exfoliate the top layer of dead skin cells. Diamond is one of the hardest materials and creates a more even, deeper exfoliation than traditional microdermabrasion crystals. Diamonds are inert and unlikely to cause allergies.
Why do you need Diamond Dermabrasion?
- Removing dead skin cells – The diamond tip mechanically removes the top dull layer of cells to reveal brighter, smoother skin underneath.
- Minimizing pores – Exfoliation helps dislodge debris and oil buildup in pores to reduce their visible size.
- Clearing acne and breakouts – By deeply exfoliating, diamond dermabrasion helps clear up mild acne and congestion.
- Smoothing skin texture – It can help smooth out roughness, flakiness, and other textural irregularities.
- Improving hyperpigmentation – Exfoliation reveals newer skin which can help address uneven tones, sunspots, melasma, etc.
- Reducing fine lines and scars – Skin renewal makes lines appear less noticeable and can soften shallow acne scarring over time.
- Brightening skin – Removing the top dull layer gives an immediate glow and radiance to the complexion.
- Rejuvenating mature skin – It can revive tired, aging skin by increasing cell turnover.
What to expect?
Your skin will be cleaned and prepped to remove any makeup, oils or topical products. The esthetician will move a handheld wand in circular motions across your skin. This wand contains the diamond tip that abrades the top layer of skin. There is mild abrasiveness and suction from the wand, but it should not be overly painful. Let your provider know if you experience discomfort. Your skin will become slightly red as the blood rises to the surface, which is normal. The esthetician will adjust pressure as needed.